Sunday, 20 May 2007

(unhealthy?) musical obsession

I've been listening to the same CD almost every night while I sleep. For about 3 months now.

Whenever people ask me "what kind of music do you like?", I struggle against the impossibility of answering. All I can think is that it just has to have that special something, it has to move me or interest me or entertain me somehow. See http://last.fm/user/jazir/.

The CD in question here is "Ten Lives" by Melbourne band Deloris. I'd not really heard of them before this album, and it's not really the style of music that would drag me in this heavily. But somehow it has. This album is just pure brilliance. I mean it, I just can't stop listening. It really has become unhealthy, and I'm not sure what to do. Well it has tapered down a bit in the last few weeks, and I'm sure the obsession will become a dull roar very soon, but this album has become a member of an elite club:
  • Sentimental Education - Free Kitten. Back when I was a studious student, I listened to the title track (Sentimental Education, duh!) of this album over and over every day for a full week. The track in question is instrumental, long-ish and reasonably repetitive, although it changes subtly as it takes it's course. And in fact it changed subtly (but entirely) in my head after the week was over. But I will always love it.
  • Wild Love - Smog. A reasonably dark period of my life was punctuated with this. Waking up at 2 or 3am hearing Bill Callahan singing "Prince Alone In The Studio"........"it's 2am, and all the girls are gone"......"it's 3am, and prince hasn't eaten in 18 hours"....."it's 4am and he finally gets that guitar track right". I'm not sure how or why I put myself through it to be honest, but this album is superb and I can't say I regret it.
I'm a pretty light sleeper, in general. I absolutely cannot sleep in, and I wake up at the drop of a hat. So many people have told me to stop listening to music while I sleep, and I have cut back a bit lately, but I can't stop altogether.

Does anybody else do it??? Do you find that you wake up at the same point in the album over and over again????

Did I refer to myself as "Grown-Up" in the last post????? Maybe when I stop this habit I'll have finally achieved full maturity. Let's hope that never happens.

3 comments:

eryani marlin said...

you being here = OMG

the.monuments.we.build said...

i know, tell me about it. it's a new low, let's see how long it lasts...

eryani marlin said...

go on, start whining and whingeing like a certain sg-ean, mofo! THAT'll be a whole NEW low!