Monday, 10 September 2007

La Vie En Rose

In my recent tradition of seeing films while they're in their last days, I once again had the pleasure of some great company to go and see La Vie En Rose (or La Môme) at Dendy Portside Wharf. I'd wanted to see it for a long time, although the less-than-favourable review I'd see on At The Movies combined with my lack of any prior interest in Edith Piaf had me prepared to be underwhelemed.

Well, I was overwhelmed, and crying like a baby. Thankfully it wasn't just me. It was a small, intimate cinema, and we were both overly emotional on the day .. but I take solace in the fact that most people watching this on the big screen would have had tears. Margaret and David from At The Movies were both critical of the disjointed chronological sequence of the film, but I think without this it would have been dry and emotionless. Watching Edith Piaf at her most frail and sick, watching her inject morphine following Marcel Cerdan's plane crash, all interspersed with images of the younger Piaf and of some brilliant performances - it all added to the emotional effect.

I did feel that some details were glossed over without enough attention. Her early fall from grace following the murder of Louis Leplée and mafia links was brushed over so quickly that I barely understood what was happening; the events of World War II were MIA; and there is more. You do feel that you haven't had the deepest insight into the person, but this was not such a big deal because in the end, the power of Marion Cotillard's performance sweeps you away.

No comments: