Saturday, 27 October 2007

The value of Trade Unions

While finally reading Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser I was reminded of the Australian Liberal Party's current anti-union scare-mongering campaign and WorkChoices legislation. I hope that workers in Australia never have stories to tell like the following one. And note- this is just one story of hundreds.

A full reproduction of the original article that made it into the book can be found here. Have a read and let me know if you still think that deregulation, de-unionisation and tax breaks for rich people and companies are worth voting for.

There's alot more I could say, but not being an expert in the fields of either workplace relations or politics, I'd rather not make a fool of myself. All I can say is that even though I'm not in a low-paid unskilled occupation, I'm thankful to work in a country that has decent Workers Compensation schemes in all states, Unions that give individual employees some collective bargaining power, and a fair minimum wage.

Don't let them take it away; don't let them Americanise us.

No comments: