Sunday, 2 December 2007

red seas under red skies

About a year ago I was given The Lies of Locke Lamora as a gift, and told that it was the first in a series of seven fantasy books, but that it was "fantasy with a bit of a twist". I was a bit dubious, as I don't really read as much fantasy or sci-fi as I did when I was younger. But it really was a lot of fun - a fantasy tale with a group of con artists as the "heroes", adventurous with many twists and turns, and clever characters.

So I was pretty happy when I finally got around to Red Seas Under Red Skies, the second novel by Scott Lynch in the sequence. It didn't disappoint, I enjoyed this from start to finish and got through it very quickly. The hasty tying up of loose ends in the final chapters did let things down a little bit and I also think the tensions between Locke and Jean were visited a few times too many, but this really is nit-picking.

I read a review of The Lies of Locke Lamora that criticised Lynch's characterization of Locke and questioned decisions made the the characters. But I think one of the strong underlying features of these books is that the characters are flawed.

Anyway, if you're after a fantasy series with a real edge that will keep you turning the pages, I'd recommend these very highly.

No comments: