Friday, 4 April 2008

can you hear the helicopters?

If only I hadn't lost my best friend, she'd remember my previous obsession with a Smog lyric from the song Sleepy Joe, on the Wild Love album - "can you hear the bells?". I used to listen to that CD over and over, and the final track Prince Alone In The Studio with it's counting down of the hours used to wake me up at 2am, 3am, 4am.

Right now the shuffle gods inside my iPod have chosen PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea and Thom Yorke's vocals have triggered something in me. Can you hear the helicopters?

Occasionally in the past few months, I've been woken up at about 4.30am, not long before my usual alarm. Woken by the helicopters. I think it might be the traffic report helicopters from Mt Coot-tha getting ready to go out and do their thing. And it doesn't bother me at all, because waking up before my alarm always leaves me feeling better. That's not the point.

The point is, that waking up to this sound fills me with a sense of apocalyptic dread. What is it about the sound of helicopters in the bleak pre-dawn light?

No comments: